Pawar is a politician who stands on two stones: Uddhav Thackeray
Mumbai: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray on Sunday described Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar as a politician who has his feet planted in two camps.
"Pawar is a politician who stands on two stones," Uddhav said, using a Marathi phrase.
Pawar was exploring option of a post-poll alliance with NDA. But Shiv Sena opposed his move to join NDA after which the NCP chief did a U-turn on BJP`s prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi`s alleged role in Gujarat riots, Uddhav claimed, while talking to reporters at his residence, after handing out BEST bus passes to freedom fighters and accredited journalists.
"When reports of Pawar`s meeting with Modi surfaced, the NCP leader defended his meeting saying he did not meet a terrorist. But when Shiv Sena opposed having NCP in the `Mahayuti`, Pawar remembered the Gujarat riots," Uddhav said.
Pawar, had recently said there was no need for a debate on the 2002 Gujarat riots after courts had ruled on Modi`s role during the communal conflagration. But, he later took a U-turn and targeted Modi for "mass murder".
Uddhav said despite Pawar being the agriculture minister, Maharashtra was highest ranked in farmers` suicides and lowest in development.
"Why is Pawar interested in cricket. Why is he contesting MCA polls and staying away from Lok Sabha elections?" Uddhav asked.
The Lok Sabha polls will be a straight fight between Congress-led alliance and NDA, he said, adding that "vote to any other party will mean vote for the Congress."
He also criticised the Maharashtra government`s decision to regularise slums till the year 2000 on the eve of elections.
"The government has just told them to continue with their life in slums without any facility. Only our government will give them a better life," he said.
The Sena leader also said that the political situation in the state was in favour of BJP-led NDA.
Shiv Sena has declared candidates for 15 of the 22 seats and the remaining will be announced in a few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says