Pawar is a politician who stands on two stones: Uddhav Thackeray
Mumbai: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray on Sunday described Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar as a politician who has his feet planted in two camps.
"Pawar is a politician who stands on two stones," Uddhav said, using a Marathi phrase.
Pawar was exploring option of a post-poll alliance with NDA. But Shiv Sena opposed his move to join NDA after which the NCP chief did a U-turn on BJP`s prime ministerial nominee Narendra Modi`s alleged role in Gujarat riots, Uddhav claimed, while talking to reporters at his residence, after handing out BEST bus passes to freedom fighters and accredited journalists.
"When reports of Pawar`s meeting with Modi surfaced, the NCP leader defended his meeting saying he did not meet a terrorist. But when Shiv Sena opposed having NCP in the `Mahayuti`, Pawar remembered the Gujarat riots," Uddhav said.
Pawar, had recently said there was no need for a debate on the 2002 Gujarat riots after courts had ruled on Modi`s role during the communal conflagration. But, he later took a U-turn and targeted Modi for "mass murder".
Uddhav said despite Pawar being the agriculture minister, Maharashtra was highest ranked in farmers` suicides and lowest in development.
"Why is Pawar interested in cricket. Why is he contesting MCA polls and staying away from Lok Sabha elections?" Uddhav asked.
The Lok Sabha polls will be a straight fight between Congress-led alliance and NDA, he said, adding that "vote to any other party will mean vote for the Congress."
He also criticised the Maharashtra government`s decision to regularise slums till the year 2000 on the eve of elections.
"The government has just told them to continue with their life in slums without any facility. Only our government will give them a better life," he said.
The Sena leader also said that the political situation in the state was in favour of BJP-led NDA.
Shiv Sena has declared candidates for 15 of the 22 seats and the remaining will be announced in a few days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP