Pawar lauds Chavan`s handling of drought situation
Mumbai: Lauding Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said on Friday that the state government had handled the drought situation well.
"During a recent meeting with Prime Minister, Chavan made a good presentation of what the state proposes to do for drought mitigation and what it expects from the Centre. The Maharashtra chief secretary, officials from the Planning Commission, finance ministry and water resources department will prepare a proposal for central funds," Pawar said.
He refuted media reports that the Centre had turned down Maharashtra`s demand for a financial package of Rs 30,000 crore.
"I was present at the meeting. Nothing of this sort ever happened. The Centre provided Rs 2250 crore for drought relief this year and the state government has done good work. Cattle camps were conducted and tankers were provided in large numbers," he said.
Pawar recalled that during his tenure as Maharashtra chief minister, agitations and morchas were a routine affair during times of drought.
"But this time nothing of this sort has happened. Everyone co-operated taking a positive approach," he said, when asked about the state BJP`s charge that Central funds were not utilised for drought relief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org