Pawar takes stock of NCP performance in Local poll
Mumbai: NCP chief Sharad Pawar on Friday took
stock of his party`s performance in recently held local bodies polls in Maharashtra.
The union agriculture minister held a closed-door
meeting at the NCP office here with the elected
representatives, ministers and office-bearers from eight
districts of western, northern and Konkan regions, sources
We did not perform well in Thane, Jalna, Hingoli,
Gadchiroli, Amravati, Kolhapur, Osmanabad, Ratnagiri and
Sindhudurg zilla Parishads, they said.
NCP faced reverses in some of the municipal
corporations and panchayat samitis, polls for which were held
"We faced reverses in polls to Pune, Nashik, Mumbai,
Amravati, Akola and Nagpur municipal corporations," sources
The NCP-Congress alliance lost to the Shiv Sena-BJP
combine in the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
"The decision to authorise local leaders to distribute
tickets was cited as one of the reasons where the party did
not do well as expected. Similarly, some leaders complained
that alliance with Congress in municipal corporations did not
help," sources said.
In Sindhudurg, Congress led by industries minister
Narayan Rane saw its percentage of votes declining but managed
to retain control of the Zilla Parishad.
Congress bagged Malvan, Devgad, Kankavli, Vaibhavwadi
panchayat samitis while NCP won Dodamarg, Sawantwadi, Vengurla
and Kudal in Konkan.
Pawar also discussed the post-poll alliances in Zilla
Parishads for electing president and vice president. Congress
and NCP had contested the elections separately.
"Congress and NCP have decided to support each other
in Zilla Parishads for president and vice president elections
and appointment of various committees," NCP sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read