Peaceful Eid celebrations in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Eid-ul-Fitr was celebrated amid peace and religious fervour across Mumbai and Maharashtra Monday with Muslims offering special congregational prayers as thanksgiving to mark the end of the month of Ramzan.
After offering prayers, people greeted and hugged each other.
At most areas of the city including Colaba, Nagpada, Mazgaon and Mahim in south Mumbai, Bandra, Andheri, Jogeshwari, Kandivali and Malad in northwest Mumbai and Ghatkopar and Kurla in central Mumbai, the celebrations began with the bursting of crackers.
Shoppers thronged the markets and vendors selling bangles, mehndi, dry fruits etc were seen doing brisk business.
While homemakers were busy preparing sumptuous meals, youngsters made plans to have a fun-filled day.
"We will probably spend the afternoon watching `Ek Tha Tiger` and will go to the beach in the evening. Feasting on delicacies on Mohammed Ali Road is also planned," said Aaliya Shaikh, a college student from Nagpada.
"I am looking forward to the Hyderabadi biryani and sheer khurma and savaiyan kheer cooked by my mother," said Ali Khan, a resident of Andheri.
Even as the festivities began, police beefed up security across the financial capital of the country.
"Over 2,000 personnel have been deployed in local police stations. Apart from them, about a hundred home guards, 20 SRPF (State Reserve Police Force) platoons and three companies each of the Rapid Action Force and the Riot Control Police have also been deployed," said Deputy Commissioner of Police Nisar Tamboli.
The festival was also celebrated peacefully in Aurangabad, Pune, Nashik, Malegaon, Ratnagiri, Raigad and Beed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues