Peaceful Eid celebrations in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Eid-ul-Fitr was celebrated amid peace and religious fervour across Mumbai and Maharashtra Monday with Muslims offering special congregational prayers as thanksgiving to mark the end of the month of Ramzan.
After offering prayers, people greeted and hugged each other.
At most areas of the city including Colaba, Nagpada, Mazgaon and Mahim in south Mumbai, Bandra, Andheri, Jogeshwari, Kandivali and Malad in northwest Mumbai and Ghatkopar and Kurla in central Mumbai, the celebrations began with the bursting of crackers.
Shoppers thronged the markets and vendors selling bangles, mehndi, dry fruits etc were seen doing brisk business.
While homemakers were busy preparing sumptuous meals, youngsters made plans to have a fun-filled day.
"We will probably spend the afternoon watching `Ek Tha Tiger` and will go to the beach in the evening. Feasting on delicacies on Mohammed Ali Road is also planned," said Aaliya Shaikh, a college student from Nagpada.
"I am looking forward to the Hyderabadi biryani and sheer khurma and savaiyan kheer cooked by my mother," said Ali Khan, a resident of Andheri.
Even as the festivities began, police beefed up security across the financial capital of the country.
"Over 2,000 personnel have been deployed in local police stations. Apart from them, about a hundred home guards, 20 SRPF (State Reserve Police Force) platoons and three companies each of the Rapid Action Force and the Riot Control Police have also been deployed," said Deputy Commissioner of Police Nisar Tamboli.
The festival was also celebrated peacefully in Aurangabad, Pune, Nashik, Malegaon, Ratnagiri, Raigad and Beed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you