People protest in Pune, seeking justice for deceased rape victim
Pune: People took to streets in Pune on Saturday, seeking justice for deceased rape victim of 2009, Naina Pujari.
Naina, who was working with a private company in the city, was allegedly gang-raped and later killed by four persons on October 07, 2009.
The main accused Yogesh Raut, 24, was a cab driver with the company, and has been absconding for the last 15 months.
The banner-holding protesters demanded immediate arrest of the accused, speedy trial of the case and called for improvement in the system to prevent occurrence of such crimes in the future.
“We have gathered here to seek justice for Naina. Three years have lapsed and still we are waiting for justice. The main accused has been absconding for the last 15 months. He has not surrendered before the police and so far police has not been able to arrest him," said Abhijit Pujari, Naina`s husband.
The recent gang-rape of a paramedical student outraged young Indians who have taken to the streets of New Delhi almost every day protesting for justice and security for women.
Beaten and raped by five men and a teenager on a moving bus in the capital on December 16, 2012, the 23-year-old student died from her injuries on Saturday (December 29), her plight shaking the conscience of many urban middle class Indians who consider gender rights as important as poverty alleviation.
Sexual violence against women in largely patriarchal India is widespread, say gender rights activists, and crimes such as rape, dowry murders, acid attacks, honour killings, child marriages and human trafficking are common.
"The case should be taken to fast track court for speedy justice. The government should take concrete measures to improve the system to prevent such crimes in future," said a protester, Manisha.
While the fast-track procedure has broad support, many lawyers worry that legislation written in haste could be unconstitutional and oppose introducing the death penalty for rape.
The protesters also submitted a memorandum to police in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow