People protest in Pune, seeking justice for deceased rape victim
Pune: People took to streets in Pune on Saturday, seeking justice for deceased rape victim of 2009, Naina Pujari.
Naina, who was working with a private company in the city, was allegedly gang-raped and later killed by four persons on October 07, 2009.
The main accused Yogesh Raut, 24, was a cab driver with the company, and has been absconding for the last 15 months.
The banner-holding protesters demanded immediate arrest of the accused, speedy trial of the case and called for improvement in the system to prevent occurrence of such crimes in the future.
“We have gathered here to seek justice for Naina. Three years have lapsed and still we are waiting for justice. The main accused has been absconding for the last 15 months. He has not surrendered before the police and so far police has not been able to arrest him," said Abhijit Pujari, Naina`s husband.
The recent gang-rape of a paramedical student outraged young Indians who have taken to the streets of New Delhi almost every day protesting for justice and security for women.
Beaten and raped by five men and a teenager on a moving bus in the capital on December 16, 2012, the 23-year-old student died from her injuries on Saturday (December 29), her plight shaking the conscience of many urban middle class Indians who consider gender rights as important as poverty alleviation.
Sexual violence against women in largely patriarchal India is widespread, say gender rights activists, and crimes such as rape, dowry murders, acid attacks, honour killings, child marriages and human trafficking are common.
"The case should be taken to fast track court for speedy justice. The government should take concrete measures to improve the system to prevent such crimes in future," said a protester, Manisha.
While the fast-track procedure has broad support, many lawyers worry that legislation written in haste could be unconstitutional and oppose introducing the death penalty for rape.
The protesters also submitted a memorandum to police in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal