Permission for Savarkar programme at Shivaji Park revoked
Mumbai: The Municipal Corporation of
Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has revoked the permission granted for
holding a musical programme at Shivaji Park here to
commemorate the centenary of Veer Savarkar`s attempt to escape
from an Andaman-bound ship.
The decision comes in the wake of the Bombay High
Court, on May 5, asking the MCGM to declare the sprawling Park
as a silence zone, in response to a PIL.
Venus Cultural Association, which plans to commemorate
Savarkar`s famous attempt to escape by jumping the ship off
Marseille (France) in 1910 while he was being taken to Andaman
from Britain, had moved the court, seeking a modification of
its May 5 order.
Loudspeakers are not allowed in silence zone.
But the Vacation Bench of High Court was on Wednesday told
that MCGM itself has now withdrawn the permission to the
programme, in the light of the High Court`s order.
The court said Venus would have to amend its
application, challenge the MCGM`s withdrawal, and then come
back to the High Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler