Permission for Savarkar programme at Shivaji Park revoked
Mumbai: The Municipal Corporation of
Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has revoked the permission granted for
holding a musical programme at Shivaji Park here to
commemorate the centenary of Veer Savarkar`s attempt to escape
from an Andaman-bound ship.
The decision comes in the wake of the Bombay High
Court, on May 5, asking the MCGM to declare the sprawling Park
as a silence zone, in response to a PIL.
Venus Cultural Association, which plans to commemorate
Savarkar`s famous attempt to escape by jumping the ship off
Marseille (France) in 1910 while he was being taken to Andaman
from Britain, had moved the court, seeking a modification of
its May 5 order.
Loudspeakers are not allowed in silence zone.
But the Vacation Bench of High Court was on Wednesday told
that MCGM itself has now withdrawn the permission to the
programme, in the light of the High Court`s order.
The court said Venus would have to amend its
application, challenge the MCGM`s withdrawal, and then come
back to the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Stem cells injection could ward off glaucoma
- Japan police search home of suspect in stabbing spree
- 5 affordable hatchbacks with first-in-class features –Check out
- Twitter's Android app makes night-time tweeting easy
- Chinese troops camp in Uttarakhand's Chamoli, PLA helicopter violates Indian airspace