Permission for Savarkar programme at Shivaji Park revoked
Mumbai: The Municipal Corporation of
Greater Mumbai (MCGM) has revoked the permission granted for
holding a musical programme at Shivaji Park here to
commemorate the centenary of Veer Savarkar`s attempt to escape
from an Andaman-bound ship.
The decision comes in the wake of the Bombay High
Court, on May 5, asking the MCGM to declare the sprawling Park
as a silence zone, in response to a PIL.
Venus Cultural Association, which plans to commemorate
Savarkar`s famous attempt to escape by jumping the ship off
Marseille (France) in 1910 while he was being taken to Andaman
from Britain, had moved the court, seeking a modification of
its May 5 order.
Loudspeakers are not allowed in silence zone.
But the Vacation Bench of High Court was on Wednesday told
that MCGM itself has now withdrawn the permission to the
programme, in the light of the High Court`s order.
The court said Venus would have to amend its
application, challenge the MCGM`s withdrawal, and then come
back to the High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike