Petition opposes redevelopment of land of Raymond Mills
Mumbai: A petition opposing redevelopment of land belonging to Raymond Woollen Mills in nearby Thane has been converted into a PIL by the Bombay High Court.
A bench headed by Justice A M Khanvilkar had on October 4 ordered the petition to be converted into a PIL and placed it for hearing before an appropriate bench.
The petition, filed by Kamgar Utkarsha Sabha and local MLA Pratap Sarnaik, contends that Raymond Woollen Mills has 4,63,000 square metres of land at J K Gram in Majivra Ovale, which is proposed to be used for redevelopment by the company.
The petitioners contend that land is currently being used for industrial purpose as it has been granted exemption under the Urban Land Ceiling Act. Under the Act, one can hold huge tracts of land only for industrial use.
In 2007, the Urban Land Ceiling Act was repealed and a new Act came in. In November 2009, the Mill submitted proposal to Thane Municipal Corporation for redevelopment.
If it gets approval, it would be against the interest of public and workers, petitioners say, adding that intention of the Act was to utilise the mill land for industrial purpose and it would be defeated if the land was allowed to be redeveloped to earn profits.
Though the Urban Land Ceiling Act has been repealed, the condition of holding vast tracts of land for industrial use remained in force under the new Act, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog