Petitioner against Maratha quota says he fears for life
Mumbai: Former journalist Ketan Tirodkar, who has filed a public interest litigation against Maharashtra cabinet`s decision to provide 16 per cent reservations to the Maratha community, has informed the Bombay High Court that he is getting "death threats".
In a letter to the High Court Registrar, Tirodkar said he received death threats from some people belonging to the Maratha organisations. He also reoproduced an offensive post against him on the social media by `Sambhaji Brigade`.
After the hearing on his petition yesterday, a person threw ink at him outside the court, Tirodkar said. The man was arrested by police and released on bail.
He apprehended a threat to his life and planned to leave the city for an undisclosed place for some time, he said, adding he was not seeking police protection as he suspected that he would not be given the protection because he had filed a litigation against the state establishment.
"I have also seen `whatsapp` messages circulated for the last few days which are viciously against me....I apprehend that I will meet the same fate as the late Dr Narendra Dhabolkar (the anti-superstition activist who was killed in Pune last year) in whose case also the state was an active participant. As I am a full-time activist and have no fixed means of income, I am unable to hire private security guards.... Hence, I am forced to leave this state for the time being," the letter said.
He has also sought exemption from appearance for hearings of various PILs filed by him between July 2 to 4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!
- Syrian base used by Russia damaged in IS attack: Report
- Those who don''t gossip could become saints, says Pope
- Mafia don's calls: Maharashtra minister hits back at AAP
- Digvijay Singh seeks judicial probe into fake Batla House encounter