Phone Operator gang-rape: Prosecution finish examination of witnesses
Mumbai: The prosecution on Tuesday closed the Shakti mill telephone operator gang-rape case of July 31, 2013 as it has examined all the witnesses.
"We have closed the case today and the court will start recording statements of the accused under section 313 of Criminal Procedure Code on Friday", special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam told PTI.
In a statement under section 313 of CrPC, the accused is given a chance to explain the circumstances and the allegations against him/her.
Nikam said the prosecution has examined 332 witnesses, including the telephone operator, to strengthen their case.
He also added that the photo-journalist gang rape case was at the fag end with only 8 to 10 witnesses remaining to be examined.
Police had arrested Mohammed Ashfaq Sheikh, Mohamed Kasim Hafiz Sheikh alias Kasim Bangali, Salim Ansari, Vijay Jadhav and a minor for gang rape of the 18-year-old telephone operator on July 31, 2013.
The police on October 8 filed a 362-page chargesheet against four accused in connection with telephone operator gang rape case. The minor`s case was separated.
In another case, a journalist, who was interning with an English magazine here, was gangraped by five persons, including a juvenile, when she had gone to the deserted mill compound with her male colleague on an assignment on August 22, 2013.
The accused - Vijay Jadhav, Kasim Bengali, Salim Ansari and Siraj Rehman - have been charged with rape, conspiracy, common intention, unnatural sex and charges under Information Technology Act, while the trial of the juvenile was separated.
The Mumbai crime branch had on September 19 filed a chargesheet against the four accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says