Pichad likely to be re-appointed as Maha NCP chief
Mumbai: Madhukar Pichad is likely to be re-appointed as the president of the Maharashtra Pradesh NCP on Saturday, party sources said.
A meeting of the state unit will be held on Saturday in the presence of Union Agriculture Minister and party supremo Sharad Pawar to decide about the issue.
Sources said the new president will get three years and in view of the 2014 assembly elections, the party leadership wanted a candidate, who is acceptable to all, ensures co-ordination between the party and the government and is useful for strengthening the party.
"Pichad has done well on all these counts in the last three years ," sources said.
Pichad, a former minister was given charge of the state unit in December 2009 after the assembly elections.
He has completed his three year term. Earlier, it was speculated that Pichad might be inducted in the cabinet in place of Babanrao Pachpute, Tribal Welfare Minister.
According to sources, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar is keen to get his close-aide and Irrigation Minister Sunil Tatkare the post of the state unit president.
However, the final decision will be taken by party Chief Sharad Pawar.
Meanwhile, the other names doing rounds to succeed the current incumbent president Madhukar Pichad are senior leaders Govindrao Adik, Home Minister R R Patil, PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal, MSRDC Minister Jaydutt Kshirsagar and former MP Suryakanta Patil.
Sources said the party leadership plans to overhaul the Mumbai unit of NCP.
"In the last 13 years, we have not got good success in the country`s financial capital. Hence, the need of the hour is the give a new look to the city unit. The issue would be discussed by Pawar with senior party leaders before the meeting," sources added.
Meanwhile, party spokesman Madan Bafna, who is the chief returning officer for the organisational elections said he would announce the decisions made by Pawar at Saturday`s general body meeting.
"I have not received any nomination form for the post of president and state office-bearers so far. The decision would be taken by Pawar," he added.
The party`s target of enrolling five lakh active members took a backseat due to the local bodies elections. "We have enrolled four lakh active members so far. The process will be activated again," he added.
Bafna said he has already announced 45 district presidents and remaining ten will be declared later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks