PIL filed for declaring Anna’s fast as "illegal"
Mumbai: On the eve of Anna Hazare`s fast
against the "weak" Lokpal Bill tabled by the government in
Parliament, a PIL was on Monday filed in the Bombay High Court
seeking it to be declared as "illegal and unconstitutional".
The petition filed by Mangaleshwar Tripathi, a social
worker, also seeks court`s direction to Hazare and his
supporters to ensure that they do not break any law and
restrain them from turning the agitation into a political
"Hazare through such fasts and `Jail Bharo aandolans`
is exerting undue pressure on the government. The Lokpal bill
is currently under debate and such actions of Hazare are
highly unconstitutional and subversive to the principle of
democracy," the petition states.
The petition also seeks for Hazare to be restrained
from making any statement against any political party.
"If such actions are allowed and encouraged then it
would tear the democracy of our country and will lead to
complete chaos and anarchy. It is highly wrong if a group of
persons who have no electoral mandate are allowed to force the
government and elected representatives to accept their version
of a law," the petition claims.
Tripathi, who is the president of a social outfit
"Uttar Bhartiya Vikas Parishad", said he would mention the
matter before the vacation judge tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical