PIL seeks cases against Raj, Pawar for MNS-NCP clashes
Mumbai: A PIL was on Friday filed in the Bombay High Court seeking direction to lodge cases against Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and MNS chief Raj Thackeray for instigating their party workers to engage in rioting and recovering cost for damage to public property last month.
The Public Interest Litigation filed by Hemant Patil, president of Rashtriya Brashtachar Virodhi Janshakti, has sought court`s direction to Maharashtra government and state`s police chief to register cases against Pawar and Thackeray whose public criticism of each other had triggered violence.
The two leaders had been recently taking potshots at each other from public platforms which had outraged their workers who engaged in rioting in several parts of the state.
"In various districts across the state, party workers of MNS and NCP have been indulging in violent activities and disturbing peace and harmony of the society. The MNS chief has used vulgar and abusive words against various other political leaders like Sushil Kumar Shinde and Sharad Pawar," the petition said.
The petition will come up for hearing in due course of time.
Pawar, nephew of NCP boss Sharad Pawar, had recently attacked Thackeray for mimicking political leaders during a visit to Kolhapur, saying it would only "entertain" people and not solve state`s problems like drought.
Thackeray retaliated by accusing Pawar, who headed the water resources ministry between 1999 and 2009, of being responsible for water scarcity despite huge spendings on irrigation projects.
There have been allegations of a Rs 70,000 crore scam in the irrigation department, which has been with NCP since inception of Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra in 1999.
Furious over Thackeray`s accusation against their leader, NCP workers had hurled stones at MNS leader`s convoy at Bhingar in Ahmednagar district on February 26, triggering a spate of incidents of violence and arson in Mumbai, Pune and Thane.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'