PIL seeks cases against Raj, Pawar for MNS-NCP clashes
Mumbai: A PIL was on Friday filed in the Bombay High Court seeking direction to lodge cases against Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and MNS chief Raj Thackeray for instigating their party workers to engage in rioting and recovering cost for damage to public property last month.
The Public Interest Litigation filed by Hemant Patil, president of Rashtriya Brashtachar Virodhi Janshakti, has sought court`s direction to Maharashtra government and state`s police chief to register cases against Pawar and Thackeray whose public criticism of each other had triggered violence.
The two leaders had been recently taking potshots at each other from public platforms which had outraged their workers who engaged in rioting in several parts of the state.
"In various districts across the state, party workers of MNS and NCP have been indulging in violent activities and disturbing peace and harmony of the society. The MNS chief has used vulgar and abusive words against various other political leaders like Sushil Kumar Shinde and Sharad Pawar," the petition said.
The petition will come up for hearing in due course of time.
Pawar, nephew of NCP boss Sharad Pawar, had recently attacked Thackeray for mimicking political leaders during a visit to Kolhapur, saying it would only "entertain" people and not solve state`s problems like drought.
Thackeray retaliated by accusing Pawar, who headed the water resources ministry between 1999 and 2009, of being responsible for water scarcity despite huge spendings on irrigation projects.
There have been allegations of a Rs 70,000 crore scam in the irrigation department, which has been with NCP since inception of Congress-NCP government in Maharashtra in 1999.
Furious over Thackeray`s accusation against their leader, NCP workers had hurled stones at MNS leader`s convoy at Bhingar in Ahmednagar district on February 26, triggering a spate of incidents of violence and arson in Mumbai, Pune and Thane.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India