PIL urges HC to order probe into assault on policeman by MLAs
Mumbai: A PIL on Sunday urged the Bombay High Court to order an inquiry by the Director General of Police of Maharashtra or any other agency appointed by the court into the alleged assault on police officer by a group of five MLAs in Vidhan Bhavan premises on March 19.
The PIL has prayed the court to direct the five MLAs, who allegedly assaulted the Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Suryavanshi, attached to Worli police station, to pay him damages.
The PIL, filed by Hemant Patil, President of Rashtriya Bhrashtachar Virodhi Janshakti, also urged the court to quash and set aside the privilege motion moved in the Assembly against editors of Marathi TV news channels IBN Lokmat and ABP Majha, Nikhil Wagle and Rajiv Khandekar respectively, over coverage of assault on the police officer.
The PIL, praying for a writ, order or direction to the State of Maharashtra, DGP and Home Minister R R Patil to produce records before the court in this case, is expected to come up for hearing next week.
The petitioner said that on March 19, the five MLAs, Kshitij Thakur and Pradeep Jaiswal (both Independents), Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Ram Kadam (Maharashtra Navnirman Sena) and Jaykumar Raval (BJP) had allegedly assaulted Suryavanshi.
Suryavanshi came under attack from the MLAs because he had earlier stopped the vehicle of Thakur and fined him for speeding on Bandra-Worli Sea link, the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Watch: Sonakshi Sinha, Remo D'souza's 'Beat Pe Booty' will make you want to hit dance floor too
- Watch: ISIS-style kidnapping of BJP leader's son by ULFA militants in Assam
- Apple boosts health while Microsoft revs machine smarts
- Pfizer boosts cancer drug roster with $14 billion Medivation deal
- OP Jaisha's ordeal: Marathon runner demands enquiry after AFI says she refused to avail energy drinks