PIL urges HC to order probe into assault on policeman by MLAs
Mumbai: A PIL on Sunday urged the Bombay High Court to order an inquiry by the Director General of Police of Maharashtra or any other agency appointed by the court into the alleged assault on police officer by a group of five MLAs in Vidhan Bhavan premises on March 19.
The PIL has prayed the court to direct the five MLAs, who allegedly assaulted the Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Suryavanshi, attached to Worli police station, to pay him damages.
The PIL, filed by Hemant Patil, President of Rashtriya Bhrashtachar Virodhi Janshakti, also urged the court to quash and set aside the privilege motion moved in the Assembly against editors of Marathi TV news channels IBN Lokmat and ABP Majha, Nikhil Wagle and Rajiv Khandekar respectively, over coverage of assault on the police officer.
The PIL, praying for a writ, order or direction to the State of Maharashtra, DGP and Home Minister R R Patil to produce records before the court in this case, is expected to come up for hearing next week.
The petitioner said that on March 19, the five MLAs, Kshitij Thakur and Pradeep Jaiswal (both Independents), Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Ram Kadam (Maharashtra Navnirman Sena) and Jaykumar Raval (BJP) had allegedly assaulted Suryavanshi.
Suryavanshi came under attack from the MLAs because he had earlier stopped the vehicle of Thakur and fined him for speeding on Bandra-Worli Sea link, the petition said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS