PIL urges strict security measures at rail stations
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday issued notices to the Centre, Central Railway and Western Railway on a public interest litigation (PIL) urging strict security measures at local railway stations in the wake of the 26/11 terror attacks, besides ensuring conducive working conditions for motermen and guards.
The PIL came up for hearing before Justice AM Khanvilkar and Justice Vijaya Tahilramani who asked the respondents to file replies by November 21.
The PIL, filed by Dr Shailesh Sharma, a professor at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Powai, said that local trains were the lifeline of Mumbai as 52 lakh commuters travelled daily in what is regarded as the biggest rail network in the world. Hence, safety of commuters was of paramount importance.
The petition said that instead of state police, CISF security guards should be posted at all railway stations, on the lines of security provided at airports.
Secondly, motormen and guards work all 365 days in a year without getting weekly offs or holidays, it alleged.
All existing train routes were introduced before Independence and thereafter, no new routes have been set up, thereby bringing lot of pressure on the existing network, the PIL said.
It said that investigation of crimes at railway stations be given to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) instead of the state police, as railway was the subject of the union government.
At important stations like CST, Churchgate, Bombay Central, Borivali, Vasai, Virar, Thane, Kalyan and Vashi, National Security Guards (NSG) commandos should be posted permanently, the PIL prayed.
Besides, there should be fire extinguishers in every compartment and the railways should introduce special coaches for children as well as senior citizens, the PIL said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30