PIL urges strict security measures at rail stations
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday issued notices to the Centre, Central Railway and Western Railway on a public interest litigation (PIL) urging strict security measures at local railway stations in the wake of the 26/11 terror attacks, besides ensuring conducive working conditions for motermen and guards.
The PIL came up for hearing before Justice AM Khanvilkar and Justice Vijaya Tahilramani who asked the respondents to file replies by November 21.
The PIL, filed by Dr Shailesh Sharma, a professor at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Powai, said that local trains were the lifeline of Mumbai as 52 lakh commuters travelled daily in what is regarded as the biggest rail network in the world. Hence, safety of commuters was of paramount importance.
The petition said that instead of state police, CISF security guards should be posted at all railway stations, on the lines of security provided at airports.
Secondly, motormen and guards work all 365 days in a year without getting weekly offs or holidays, it alleged.
All existing train routes were introduced before Independence and thereafter, no new routes have been set up, thereby bringing lot of pressure on the existing network, the PIL said.
It said that investigation of crimes at railway stations be given to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) instead of the state police, as railway was the subject of the union government.
At important stations like CST, Churchgate, Bombay Central, Borivali, Vasai, Virar, Thane, Kalyan and Vashi, National Security Guards (NSG) commandos should be posted permanently, the PIL prayed.
Besides, there should be fire extinguishers in every compartment and the railways should introduce special coaches for children as well as senior citizens, the PIL said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you