Plea in HC seeks CBI probe into Mumbai cop assault case
Mumbai: In fresh trouble for the MLAs accused of assaulting traffic sub-inspector Sachin Suryavanshi in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly, a petition has been filed in the Bombay High Court seeking CBI probe into the incident.
A division bench of Justices PV Hardas and AR Joshi has posted the petition, filed by former journalist Ketan Tirodkar for hearing on April 22.
Tirodkar on Sunday mentioned the petition before the bench and said the probe, presently being done by the crime branch of the police, is at a standstill as the CCTV footage of the alleged incident could not be procured.
This petition is the second one to be filed concerning the incident. On March 25, a PIL was filed by social activist Hemant Patil seeking FIR to be lodged against other MLAs also who were allegedly involved in the attack.
On March 19, the five MLAs - Kshitij Thakur and Pradeep Jaiswal (both Independents), Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena), Ram Kadam (Maharashtra Navnirman Sena) and Jaykumar Raval (BJP) - had allegedly assaulted the traffic sub-inspector.
Suryavanshi was attacked by the MLAs as he had earlier allegedly stopped Thakur`s vehicle and fined him for over-speeding on the Bandra-Worli Sealink.
Following the incident of assault, the five MLAs were suspended from the House till the end of the year.
Patil has sought a probe by the Director General of Police of Maharashtra or any other agency. He has also asked that the five MLAs, who had allegedly assaulted Suryavanshi, be directed to pay the damages to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says