PM asks Maha govt to examine alleged cop bias against Muslim prisoners
New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has asked Maharashtra government and the Home Minister to look into the issue of alleged police bias against Muslim prisoners in jails in the state.
"The Prime Minister has asked the Chief Minister of Maharashtra and the Home Minister to look into the issues," said Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) in a statement today.
IUML President E. Ahamed had sought the Prime Minister`s intervention into the matter demanding a high-level inquiry following reports about alleged police bias against Muslim prisoners in Maharashtra based on a study prepared by Tata Institute of Social Sciences.
Ahamed felt it was most alarming that a section of people who belong to a particular religion is subjected to "untold difficulties, hardships and denial of justice".
"It is disgraceful that the law enforcing authority is prejudiced against the community denying them even elementary opportunity to be heard," Ahamed had said.
He noted that the welfare measures initiated by the UPA government for minorities "will be wiped out" if adequate measures are not taken.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy