PM inaugurates Mumbai`s swanky T2 airport terminal
Mumbai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Friday dedicated the newly built international terminal (T2) at the city airport to the nation and said it marks the beginning of a fresh chapter in development of civil aviation industry.
"This shows our ability to build world class infrastructure. The T2 is truly first class terminal," he said while inaugurating the swanky terminal of the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport here.
It marks the beginning of a new chapter in growth of civil aviation sector in the country, he said.
The four-storey glass marvel, whose design has been inspired by a dancing peacock, will become operational from February. T2 has come up at a whopping investment of Rs 9,800 crore.
The sprawling premises boasts of tens of thousands of artifacts and paintings, housing arguably one the largest collections in the world at an airport.
The most attractive feature of the swanky terminal is the museum of artifacts. Stretching along a 3-km art wall, the museum houses over 7,000 artifacts collected from over 1,500 artists across the country.
The inauguration ceremony was attended by Union Science and Technology Minister S Jaipal Reddy, NCP President and Union Minister Sharad Pawar, Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh and Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing