PM likely to induct warship INS Kolkata in Mumbai soon
New Delhi: After dedicating aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya to the nation, Prime Minister Narendra Modi is likely to induct country`s largest indigenously-built warship INS Kolkata in Mumbai in the next few weeks.
The Prime Minister has already been invited to induct the largest indigenously-built warship, which is constructed by the Mazagon Dockyards Limited and has been designed by Navy`s design bureau, defence officials said here.
The 6,800 tonne warship, which is over three years behind schedule, is a technology demonstrator and will showcase a giant leap in shipbuilding technology in the country, they said.
INS Kolkata will be a part of the Kolkata Class destroyers of the Indian Navy which will include follow-on ships by the name of INS Kochin and INS Chennai respectively.
The keel of the warship was laid down in September 2003 and the ship was launched in 2006.
Its original commissioning was planned in 2010 but due to several project delays, it will now happen in 2014. The ship had also suffered a mishap during the trial phase when a Navy officer lost his life during an incident in the fire-fighting equipment of the vessel.
As part of her pre-commissioning weapon trials at sea, INS Kolkata test-fired a BrahMos missile off Karwar`s coast earlier this month.
India is also building an over 40,000 tonne Indigenous Aircraft Carrier christened INS Vikrant but it will take another three-four years before it gets inducted into the Navy.
The INS Vikramaditya procured from Russia at the cost of over Rs 15,000 crore is so far the biggest vessel in the maritime force and is expected to hold this position for at least another decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH