PM Modi to lay foundation stone of Nagpur metro rail today
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to lay the foundation stone of ambitious Metro Rail Project in Nagpur on Thursday. Modi is also scheduled to inaugurate the Mouda Super Thermal Power Project Phase I and a flyover on National Highway 6, all in Nagpur.
The Prime Minister will be accompanied by Governor K Sankaranarayanan and Union Ministers Nitin Gadkari and Piyush Goyal. However, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had decided to skip the event to avoid the embarrassment faced by fellow Congress CM of Haryana Bhupinder Singh Hooda who was booed by BJP workers at a stone-laying ceremony at Kaithal on Tuesday.
Chavan himself had been by heckled by Bharatiya Janata Party activists at a function attended by Modi in Raigad earlier.
In a pre-election bonanza to Maharashtra, the Union Cabinet yesterday cleared a Rs 8,860 crore metro rail project in Nagpur, which will become the latest city in the country to have the modern transportation service.
The 38.215-km-long project, scheduled to be completed by March 2018, will be funded on equal sharing basis between the state and the Centre with the latter contributing Rs 1,555 crore as equity and subordinate debt.
Nagpur Metro will connect 19.658 km of north-south corridor and 18.557 km of east-west corridor.
The proposed north-south and east-west alignments are expected to provide much needed connectivity to commuters and would traverse through some of the densest and traffic- congested areas of the Orange city.
The alignments are also expected to bring connectivity to the Special Economic Zone (SEZ), educational institutions and logistic hubs in the city.
The two corridors, together, are expected to bring about a total transformation in the city`s urban transportation scenario by considerably reducing traffic congestion and bringing in a fast, comfortable, safe and affordable mass transportation system for the people of Nagpur.
To execute the project, the Cabinet approved setting up of Nagpur Metro Rail Corporation, a senior Urban Development Ministry official said.
While Urban Development Secretary will be the Chairman of the corporation, the Managing Director will be nominated by the Maharashtra government. The company will have 10 nominee Directors on its Board. These would be five nominees of the Government of India and five nominees of the Government of Maharashtra.
Nagpur with a population of 24 lakh people is the third largest city of Maharashtra and 13th largest in the country.
The project is scheduled to be completed by March 2018. Metro services are operational Delhi NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata and Bangalore and under various stages on construction in cities including Jaipur and Kochi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees