PM, Sonia to launch Aadhar scheme in Maharashtra village
Mumbai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi will attend the inaugural function of Aadhar/ Unique Identity (UID) project in Maharashtra`s Nandurbar district on September 29.
Tembhali, with a population of 1,098, will become the first `Aadhar` village in the country, state IT secretary Nitin Kareer and regional deputy director-general of Aadhar
project, Ajay Bhushan Pande said at Mantralaya here.
The tribal Nandurbar district has previously seen Congress leaders launch state poll campaigns over the years. A workshop for revenue department was conducted at the
collector`s office here recently to train staff for the project.
The UID programme is expected to be completed in Maharashtra by March 2012, two years ahead of the all-India target. Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, his deputy Chhagan
Bhujbal and UID chief Nandan Nilekani will also be present at the event. According to the government`s decision, each person from the BPL category will get Rs 100 as an incentive for enrolling to the scheme.
The government has already opened counters to note down the details of the villagers, 10 of whom will get the UID cards at the function. The villagers will also be told about the importance of UID and how it will be useful in public distribution system, NREGA and other government schemes.
The 12-digit Aadhar number will be mandatory for all government schemes and serve as unique identification number for citizens. To get the number, citizens should produce any of the 29 listed documents as the proof of domicile. If no document is produced, the district collector in rural areas and municipal commissioners in urban areas will be authorised to issue identity certificates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing