PM, Sonia to launch Aadhar scheme in Maharashtra village
Mumbai: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi will attend the inaugural function of Aadhar/ Unique Identity (UID) project in Maharashtra`s Nandurbar district on September 29.
Tembhali, with a population of 1,098, will become the first `Aadhar` village in the country, state IT secretary Nitin Kareer and regional deputy director-general of Aadhar
project, Ajay Bhushan Pande said at Mantralaya here.
The tribal Nandurbar district has previously seen Congress leaders launch state poll campaigns over the years. A workshop for revenue department was conducted at the
collector`s office here recently to train staff for the project.
The UID programme is expected to be completed in Maharashtra by March 2012, two years ahead of the all-India target. Chief Minister Ashok Chavan, his deputy Chhagan
Bhujbal and UID chief Nandan Nilekani will also be present at the event. According to the government`s decision, each person from the BPL category will get Rs 100 as an incentive for enrolling to the scheme.
The government has already opened counters to note down the details of the villagers, 10 of whom will get the UID cards at the function. The villagers will also be told about the importance of UID and how it will be useful in public distribution system, NREGA and other government schemes.
The 12-digit Aadhar number will be mandatory for all government schemes and serve as unique identification number for citizens. To get the number, citizens should produce any of the 29 listed documents as the proof of domicile. If no document is produced, the district collector in rural areas and municipal commissioners in urban areas will be authorised to issue identity certificates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional