PMC posts 51% voter turnout in Pune
Pune: An estimated 51 percent voters
Thursday exercised their franchise in the polls to the Pune
Municipal Corporation (PMC), official sources said.
Barring a few minor incidents of unruly behaviour by
party activists, the polling passed off peacefully, they said.
As many as 1,180 candidates were in the fray for the
152 seats of PMC which has with a total electorate of about
Among the early voters were city Congress MP Suresh
Kalmadi, currently under suspension from the party following
the CWG scam, and outgoing Mayor Mohansingh Rajpal of NCP.
A salient feature of the polls was absence of a pre-
poll alliance between Congress and NCP -- both coalition
partners at the State and Central levels.
Shiv Sena-BJP combine, joined by RPI faction led by
Ramdas Athavale, forged an alliance to take on Congress and
Sharad Pawar-led NCP.
Raj Thackeray-led MNS, too, had fielded its
candidates, hoping to increase its marginal presence in the
outgoing House, ruled by NCP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27