Police arrest 2 civic engineers in Thane building crash case
Thane: Two engineers of Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) were today arrested in connection with last week`s building collapse here, taking the number of those taken into custody for the tragedy to 13.
Executive Engineer Subash Rawal and Deputy Engineer Ramesh Inamdar were arrested in connection with the building crash in which 74 people were killed, a Crime Branch officer told reporters here.
He did not elaborate on their alleged role in the incident.
The seven-storey illegal building at Shil-Phata in Mumbra town came down crashing on Thursday last.
Builders Abdul Salim Aziz Siddiqui and Jameel Ahmad Jajaluddin Shaikh, who constructed the structure, are among those arrested. They face the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and criminal conspiracy, among others.
Three officials of TMC, one of them a Deputy Municipal Commissioner, an architect, Corporator Hira Patil, a building material supplier and a local journalist, are among those arrested earlier.
After investigations and interrogation of the arrested accused, more persons are likely to be rounded up, the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened