Police arrest 2 civic engineers in Thane building crash case
Thane: Two engineers of Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) were today arrested in connection with last week`s building collapse here, taking the number of those taken into custody for the tragedy to 13.
Executive Engineer Subash Rawal and Deputy Engineer Ramesh Inamdar were arrested in connection with the building crash in which 74 people were killed, a Crime Branch officer told reporters here.
He did not elaborate on their alleged role in the incident.
The seven-storey illegal building at Shil-Phata in Mumbra town came down crashing on Thursday last.
Builders Abdul Salim Aziz Siddiqui and Jameel Ahmad Jajaluddin Shaikh, who constructed the structure, are among those arrested. They face the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and criminal conspiracy, among others.
Three officials of TMC, one of them a Deputy Municipal Commissioner, an architect, Corporator Hira Patil, a building material supplier and a local journalist, are among those arrested earlier.
After investigations and interrogation of the arrested accused, more persons are likely to be rounded up, the police officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi