Police arrest 252 Bangladeshi illegal immigrants
Mumbai: As many as 252 Bangladeshi illegal immigrants, including women and children working as labourers and housemaids in the city as well as neighbouring Thane district, have been arrested this month, the police said on Thursday.
With these raids, the total number arrests of Bangladeshi illegal immigrants went up to 1308 this year alone, the police said.
Raids were conducted on December 01, in different parts of the city when 57 Bangladeshi illegal immigrants were apprehended. During their interrogation, they revealed that many more from Bangladesh lived in neighbouring Thane district without valid documents, the police said.
Accordingly, raids were conducted during the next five days, when 195 Bangladeshi illegal immigrants were nabbed from Thane district`s Mira road, Naigaon, Bhayandar, Nalasopara and Kharghar areas, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special Branch) Sanjay Shintre said.
Among the arrested, 56 were women and 64 were children, the police said. As per legal procedure, the accused will be deported to their country, the police said, adding that as of now, 200 illegals were deported this year.
Deportation is a long process. Once formalities in a particular case are completed, the batch is taken to Kolkata, from where BSF escorts them to the Bangladesh border, the police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!