Police clueless on Dey case: RR Patil
Mumbai: Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil on Friday admitted that the probe into the killing of journalist Jyotirmoy Dey is clueless.
Patil’s statement has come a day after the Bombay High Court intervened in the scribe’s murder case directing the Maharashtra government and police to file on June 21 a status report on the probe which has not yielded any breakthrough yet.
"There are some criminals who are very smart. They are not leaving any clues. That is why investigation is becoming a little tough," he said responding to reporters’ queries.
Patil, however, reposed faith in the abilities of Mumbai police and said the investigation in Dey`s murder was progressing in the right direction.
"We have full faith in the ability of Mumbai police. These people (police) are on the right track and will surely catch the accused. They should be given sufficient time. We don`t want to do anything that will distract or divert their focus," he said.
Meanwhile, CPM politburo member Sitaram Yechury slammed Patil for making "clueless" comments, adding the Home Minister should make responsible statements.
Opposition Shiv Sena also sought RR Patil`s resignation, saying, “RR Patil is unable to handle the home department and therefore he should resign”.
BJP said that since Patil had not resigned despite demands several times, the government should hand over the case to the CBI.
"Five days have passed but still the police is not able to get any clue...Once the Mumbai police were compared to the Scotland Yard, but now the question arises if their efficiency is declining," said BJP`s Eknath Khadse, Leader of Opposition in the Assembly.
Dey, who headed the crime bureau in Mid-Day tabloid, was shot dead by four unidentified gunmen at Hiranandani complex in suburban Powai on June 11.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested