Police foils escape bid by foreigners in prison
Mumbai: Maharashtra police on Thursday claimed to
have pre-empted an escape bid by two foreigners who were
trying to arrange surety from two persons to get out on bail.
The two persons whom they did not know and who had
offered to stand surety for them on financial consideration
proved to be conmen themselves as they had produced fake
property records for standing guarantee for the two
foreigners, police said.
The two foreigners Mexican national Gonzalez Maldonado
Mauricio and Venezuela national Gutierez Orlando were part of
the gang of four who had stolen Rs 6.60 crore worth of
diamonds from an international exhibition at Goregaon last
year and were serving a 21-month imprisonment awarded to them
by a local court. They had appealed to the high court against
the lower court order.
Meanwhile, the high court allowed them a bail on a
surety of Rs 1 lakh each. Two of the four foreigners managed
to get in touch with two persons from Buldhana who offered to
stand surety for them even when they did not know each other.
However, Surendra Ingale and Shaikh Jakir Gafoor who
offered to stand surety for the two foreigners were arrested
by cops at Khamgaon city police station in Buldhana district
as they were found to have allegedly submitted fake property
documents while standing as surety.
"They got fake documents in connivance with Khamgaon
revenue department officials. They are also not the friends of
the two foreigners but stood as surety as they would be given
money for this job," Milind Khetle, senior inspector, told PTI
adding the two foreigners would have escaped if they were
released on bail.
Learning this, revenue officer Shobha Chavan lodged an
FIR at Khamgaon police station following which the duo was
arrested, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured