Police get month`s time to file chargesheet in Dey murder case
Mumbai: The special Maharashtra Control of
Organised Crimes Act (MCOCA) court on Friday granted 30 days
extension to the city Crime Branch to file charge sheet in the
murder case of city journalist Jyotirmoy Dey.
"I find substance in the extension application," Special
Judge SM Modak observed.
"With the arrest of the tenth accused (Paulson Joseph),
some new materials have come to the fore," observed the court,
while adding that communication was found to have taken place
between the accused in India as well those outside the
"An opportunity is to be given to the investigating
agency to carry out investigation, which is at a crucial stage
now," the court observed.
The prosecution had sought 45 days of extension. However,
the court observed, "I am not of the opinion that 45 days is
to be given, 30 days servers the purpose."
Special public prosecutor Dileep Shah argued that filing
a charge sheet at this point would hamper investigation.
However, the defence lawyer Sudeep Pasbola argued that the
specific reason for the detention of the accused is also to be
submitted (in the report), which has not been done in the
"In the report, they also have to write the progress of
the case, but this report does not indicate any progress,"
He said that some details are appearing in media reports
and this is taking the court for granted.
"Everybody knows the identity of the person and if it is
a ground for extension, then everybody knows it," Pasbola
Ten accused, including Rohee Thangappan Joseph alias
Satish Kalya and his associates, namely Abhijeet Shinde, Arun
Dake, Sachin Gaikwad, Anil Waghmode, Nilesh Shendge, Mangesh
Agawane, Vinod Asrani, Paulson Joseph and Deepak Sisodia-all
members of Chhota Rajan gang-were so far arrested in
connection with the murder.
J Dey was shot dead by assailants in suburban Powai on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter