Police give clean chit to Narayan Rane`s son in criminal case
Mumbai: The Mumbai Crime Branch on Friday gave a clean chit to Maharashtra Industry Minister Narayan Rane`s son Nitesh in a case of attempt to murder, saying there
was no evidence to arrest him.
The case was filed on a complaint by Shamim Shaikh, an office bearer of NGO Swabhiman Sanghatna floated by Nitesh. Shaikh had alleged that Nitesh fired at him.
Inspector Sanjay Satardekar of the Crime Branch filed an affidavit in the Bombay High Court in reply to a petition by Shaikh alias Chintu, stating "no prima facie case is made
out" to arrest the accused (Nitesh Rane).
"No witness has stated that such an incident of firing occurred on the specified date," the affidavit said, referring to Shaikh`s allegations that on September 23, when he went to
Nitesh`s office at suburban Khar, he was angry for some reason and as soon as he approached him, Nitesh fired at him.
Thereafter, Shaikh alleged, he was assaulted by two persons from Nitesh`s office, and some of his bodyguards also chased him in a vehicle and threatened to kill him.
Satardekar, however, stated that the police had recorded statements of nearly 25 witnesses, some of whom had been interviewed by the Crime Branch, but none of them have supported the complainant claim that Nitesh fired at him.
Medical evidence suggested that injuries suffered by the complainant on his face were less likely to be caused due to firing of a bullet, Satardekar said.
He cited lack of forensic evidence and absence of any blood stains or marks at Nitesh`s office, where the incident allegedly took place, to support his claim.
A panel of four doctors from government-run JJ Hospital, which examined the complainant and available medical evidence, had said that injuries were less likely caused by a projectile discharge from a firearm. The panel also did not notice any evidence of bullet or metallic fragments as is generally found around bullet injuries, the affidavit said.
Shaikh had prayed to the court to direct the police to file an FIR on the basis of his complaint apprehending that police were likely to suppress material facts in view of
Narayan Rane`s political clout.
Accepting the affidavit on record, justices AM Khanwilkar and AP Bhangale adjourned the hearing on Shaikh`s plea for two weeks to allow him to submit fresh affidavit of
service to Narayan Rane, who has been added as a respondent in view of charges levelled against him in the petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM