Police modernisation taken up on war footing: Governor
Mumbai: Maharashtra Government has taken
up the modernisation of the police force on a war footing,
providing them with the latest equipment, advanced weaponry
and armoured vehicles, Governor K Satyanarayanan informed the
State Legislature here Thursday.
"The safety and security of the citizens has always
remained top priority of the Government. To effectively deal
with the scourge of terrorism, the modernisation of the police
force has been taken up on a war footing," the Governor said,
addressing a joint session of the Legislature as the budget
session got underway today.
Opposition Shiv Sena-BJP legislators unfurled banners
and shouted slogans on issues like inflation, farmers` plight
and separate Vidarbha, as the Governor began his address.
Police is being provided with the latest equipment,
advanced weaponry and armoured vehicles.
A comprehensive package has been prepared and is being
rigorously implemented for this purpose," he said, adding this
will definitely enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of
A Crime and Criminal Network Tracking System is being
set up with an aim to create a nationwide infrastructure
network to detect criminals on a real time basis, the Governor
The Government has taken a decision to create
additional 55,000 posts in the state police force, out of
which 44,084 posts have been created.
On the occasion of Golden Jubilee Year of the
formation of Maharashtra State, the Government is preparing a
`Vision Document` to indicate where the state should be by the
year 2015 and to identify the strategy as well as the schemes
to be implemented in the next five years, he said.
The Governor paid tributes to the 17 victims of German
bakery blast in Pune.
"Innocent persons have lost their lives.I pay my
homage to them. The public acted courageously and helped the
government machinery to keep the situation under control," he
The government provided immediate relief to the
grieved families and timely medical treatment to the injured
persons, he added.
The Governor ended his speech, wishing the legislators
a fruitful session, in Marathi.
A Shiv Sena delegation led by party Executive
President Uddhav Thackeray had recently told Sankaranarayanan
that he should speak in Marathi during his address to the
Thackeray had requested the Governor that he should
begin the address to the Legislature in Marathi and the
Governor had told the delegation that he knows Marathi and
Hindi, and would be glad to start his speech in Marathi, Sena
spokpesperson Neelam Gorhe said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- I was scared as I don't look like a wrestler: Anushka Sharma
- MSBSHSE HSC Results 2016: Mahresult.nic.in & hscresult.mkcl.org Maharashtra Board Class 12th XII HSC Exam Results 2016 to be declared shortly
- Premier League: Leicester City will still be the underdogs, says manager Claudio Ranieri
- 'Avengers' stars surprise sick fan—See inside!
- All religions are used by men to control women: Mona Eltahawy