Police opposes builder Bijlani`s bail in Loharia murder case
Mumbai: Police on Saturday opposed the bail plea of builder Suresh Bijlani, accused in murder of Navi Mumbai developer Sunil Loharia, saying he was a threat to the son of the deceased.
An affidavit was filed by police inspector Santosh Bagwe in pursuant to High Court orders.
The court had directed police to file an affidavit while hearing Bijlani`s bail application.
Sandeep, Loharia`s son, had filed an intervention application on December 19, opposing Bijlani`s bail plea saying there was threat to his life from Bijlani.
The affidavit submitted by public prosecutor Poornima Kantharia states that besides threat to Sandeep, there are chances that Bijlani may abscond if released on bail.
Also, there was evidence suggesting Bijlani`s alleged involvement in Loharia`s murder.
There are call records and statements of witnesses which say that Bijlani was in touch with arrested accused Emmanuel Amolik and wanted accused Anurag Garg, police said.
According to statements recorded by police, Bijlani had several meetings with Amolik, Garg and other accused in his office. Even on the day of Loharia`s murder on February 16, 2013, there was a meeting at his office, the affidavit said.
Justice M L Tahilyani has asked the police to submit a copy of the statements of the witnesses by December 23, when the hearing is scheduled.
Loharia was shot dead outside his office in Vashi in Navi Mumbai.
Home Department later transferred the case from Navi Mumbai Police to Mumbai Crime Branch following allegations of bias in the investigations.
Eight accused had been earlier arrested and these include shooters Venkatesh Shettiar, Wajid Qureshi, realty developer Sumit Bacchewar and retired `encounter specialist` Emmanuel Amolik.
Business rivalry is suspected to have led to the broad daylight murder, which was captured on CCTV camera.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest