Police protection for irrigation scam `whistle-blower`
Nashik: Water Resources department Chief engineer and member of the state-level technical advisory committee, Vijay Pandhare, who wrote to Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan about alleged irregularities in irrigation projects has been given police protection.
The development comes in the wake of the resignation of Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar -- who also held the water resources portfolio earlier -- following allegations that he granted administrative approvals of thousands of crore for irrigation projects by flouting norms.
Pandhare was provided security cover last night, within hours of Pawar announcing his resignation, DCP (Nashik city) Sahebrao Patil said.
Pandhare had written to Governor K Sankaranarayanan and Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, drawing their attention to the "poor quality" of irrigation projects, inflated budget and irregularities in purchase of materials.
"I have drawn the government`s attention to violation of norms and pointed out faults in the projects," Pandhare, a member of the Maharashtra Engineering Research Institute and chief of Maharashtra Engineering Training Academy, said.
Meanwhile, supporters of social activist Anna Hazare have backed Pandhare and assured him of their cooperation.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate