Police protection for VIPs a status symbol: HC
Mumbai: In a stinging remark, the Bombay
High Court today made light of police protection for VIPs,
saying it is becoming more of a status symbol than necessity.
The court made the observation while transferring the
murder case of Pune-based builder Nikhil Rane to the CBI.
It also sought to know what steps the Maharashtra
government has taken to strengthen its police force.
"A number of policemen are deployed for protection of
VIPs as a result of which there is a shortage of personnel
required for other operations. Police protection available to
VIPs is becoming a status symbol these days for some," a
division bench of Justices B H Marlapalle and U D Salvi
Observing that the policing machinery was `strained`
due to the influx of people, the court asked the government to
state how many administrative officers were recruited between
Acting on a petition by the builder`s wife for a CBI
probe, the court observed that complex cases are better
handled by the central investigating agency.
Rane was shot on November 23, 2009 allegedly by rival
businessmen. His wife approached the court after the police
failed to make any breakthrough in investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MUST WATCH: BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu's amazing speech on religion in Muslim conference
- SRH vs RCB, IPL 2016: Why David Warner was unhappy with Tabraiz Shamsi’s 'Bus Driver' celebration!
- This Indian business tycoon and wife under high-risk security category!
- Salman Khan impressed with THIS young fan—See pic inside!
- Kejriwal govt vs Centre: Delhi High Court seeks response from Modi governnment