Police protection for VIPs a status symbol: HC
Mumbai: In a stinging remark, the Bombay
High Court today made light of police protection for VIPs,
saying it is becoming more of a status symbol than necessity.
The court made the observation while transferring the
murder case of Pune-based builder Nikhil Rane to the CBI.
It also sought to know what steps the Maharashtra
government has taken to strengthen its police force.
"A number of policemen are deployed for protection of
VIPs as a result of which there is a shortage of personnel
required for other operations. Police protection available to
VIPs is becoming a status symbol these days for some," a
division bench of Justices B H Marlapalle and U D Salvi
Observing that the policing machinery was `strained`
due to the influx of people, the court asked the government to
state how many administrative officers were recruited between
Acting on a petition by the builder`s wife for a CBI
probe, the court observed that complex cases are better
handled by the central investigating agency.
Rane was shot on November 23, 2009 allegedly by rival
businessmen. His wife approached the court after the police
failed to make any breakthrough in investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed