Police protection for VIPs a status symbol: HC
Mumbai: In a stinging remark, the Bombay
High Court today made light of police protection for VIPs,
saying it is becoming more of a status symbol than necessity.
The court made the observation while transferring the
murder case of Pune-based builder Nikhil Rane to the CBI.
It also sought to know what steps the Maharashtra
government has taken to strengthen its police force.
"A number of policemen are deployed for protection of
VIPs as a result of which there is a shortage of personnel
required for other operations. Police protection available to
VIPs is becoming a status symbol these days for some," a
division bench of Justices B H Marlapalle and U D Salvi
Observing that the policing machinery was `strained`
due to the influx of people, the court asked the government to
state how many administrative officers were recruited between
Acting on a petition by the builder`s wife for a CBI
probe, the court observed that complex cases are better
handled by the central investigating agency.
Rane was shot on November 23, 2009 allegedly by rival
businessmen. His wife approached the court after the police
failed to make any breakthrough in investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands