Police raise security concerns over Eastern Freeway, provide solutions
The Eastern Freeway that connects Chembur to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) is a boon for motorists, but there are loopholes that may compromise security of travellers and some major installations along the route.
Three months after the 13.59 km-long road opened for the public, the Mumbai police has sent a letter (a copy of which is with dna) to the Public Works Department (PWD) about the problems and the police have also suggested solutions.
The freeway passes by important installations such as the Mumbai Port Trust, Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilizers (RCF) and Indian Oil Corporation, that can be seen from the road.
Second, the road could be used as a free passage by criminals, who could make a getaway from the city to Navi Mumbai within minutes after committing a crime.
“As there is no police patrolling, anti-socials can easily flee. Besides, no specific spots have been allotted to build police posts. With Mumbai being a target of terror groups, it is only reasonable that these important installations are guarded,” said a senior police officer.
The police has suggested that thick, protective steel sheets be set up on either side of the freeway so that the important installations are out of view of motorists.
They have also requested the PWD to set up police posts on the freeway as this could prevent any untoward incident and the police could be easily available to provide assistance in case of an accident. The policemen at these posts should be provided with weapons to deal with any emergency.
“The Eastern Freeway has been partly opened for motorists and allows a speed limit of 40km, 50km and 60km on various stretches. However, none of the motorists follow this limit and it has been observed that most vehicles run at a speed of 90 to 100 km per hour,” said a traffic police officer.
This is one of the major and urgent problems that the police will have to deal with once the project is completed. The Mumbai police have asked for speed guns and the installation of CCTV cameras along the route.
They want entry barred for two-wheelers, three-wheelers, tricycles and bullock carts and strict punishment for those flouting these rules. The tunnel near Anik Panjarjpol has become a pedestrian crossing for people living in nearby slums.
This could lead to fatal mishaps as vehicles speed through the stretch. The police have suggested installing barriers to deal with the problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800