Police seize arms haul in Mumbai
Mumbai: With the seizure of 15 sophisticated
firearms brought here from Uttar Pradesh and the arrest of a
weapons` supplier, city police on Monday claimed to have pre-empted
several crimes that could have been unleashed by "underworld
members" before or during the civic body polls.
On a tip-off, a trap was laid near Ghatkopar railway
station last night when the accused Ritesh Singh (27) was
found moving suspiciously, police said.
"Singh was caught when he was found with 15 excellent
quality pistols, 7.65 mm caliber cartridges and 24 magazines
concealed in a bag," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime)
Himanshu Roy said.
"Since two months, crime branch unit VII had inputs that
a large quantity of firearms would be delivered in Mumbai for
the members of underworld gangs who may have planned to create
trouble before or during the civic body polls," Roy said.
"Singh, a resident of Varanasi, knew whom to deliver the
weapons," he said, adding the accused had earlier supplied
weapons in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
The gun supplier boarded Mahanagari Express in Varanasi
and arrived in Mumbai yesterday.
A preliminary probe suggested that pistols bearing the
made-in-US mark were actually manufactured in Bihar, Roy said.
"Recovering the cache is perceived as a severe blow to
the nefarious designs of the underworld gangsters who planned
criminal activities in the metropolis," he said and added that
police are trying to find out the recipients of the weapons
and also figuring out the locations likely to be targeted.
The civic polls are scheduled in February next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Misbah-ul-Haq's conversation with wife Uzma on Twitter is a HUGE hit on the internet!
- Leicester City midfielder Danny Drinkwater signs new five-year contract
- S Korea offers Tokyo-funded money to 'comfort women'
- Jurgen Klopp tries to keep peace with frustrated Daniel Sturridge
- Iraqi, Syrian foreign ministers meet in Baghdad