Police seize arms haul in Mumbai
Mumbai: With the seizure of 15 sophisticated
firearms brought here from Uttar Pradesh and the arrest of a
weapons` supplier, city police on Monday claimed to have pre-empted
several crimes that could have been unleashed by "underworld
members" before or during the civic body polls.
On a tip-off, a trap was laid near Ghatkopar railway
station last night when the accused Ritesh Singh (27) was
found moving suspiciously, police said.
"Singh was caught when he was found with 15 excellent
quality pistols, 7.65 mm caliber cartridges and 24 magazines
concealed in a bag," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime)
Himanshu Roy said.
"Since two months, crime branch unit VII had inputs that
a large quantity of firearms would be delivered in Mumbai for
the members of underworld gangs who may have planned to create
trouble before or during the civic body polls," Roy said.
"Singh, a resident of Varanasi, knew whom to deliver the
weapons," he said, adding the accused had earlier supplied
weapons in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
The gun supplier boarded Mahanagari Express in Varanasi
and arrived in Mumbai yesterday.
A preliminary probe suggested that pistols bearing the
made-in-US mark were actually manufactured in Bihar, Roy said.
"Recovering the cache is perceived as a severe blow to
the nefarious designs of the underworld gangsters who planned
criminal activities in the metropolis," he said and added that
police are trying to find out the recipients of the weapons
and also figuring out the locations likely to be targeted.
The civic polls are scheduled in February next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside