Police seize arms haul in Mumbai
Mumbai: With the seizure of 15 sophisticated
firearms brought here from Uttar Pradesh and the arrest of a
weapons` supplier, city police on Monday claimed to have pre-empted
several crimes that could have been unleashed by "underworld
members" before or during the civic body polls.
On a tip-off, a trap was laid near Ghatkopar railway
station last night when the accused Ritesh Singh (27) was
found moving suspiciously, police said.
"Singh was caught when he was found with 15 excellent
quality pistols, 7.65 mm caliber cartridges and 24 magazines
concealed in a bag," Joint Police Commissioner (Crime)
Himanshu Roy said.
"Since two months, crime branch unit VII had inputs that
a large quantity of firearms would be delivered in Mumbai for
the members of underworld gangs who may have planned to create
trouble before or during the civic body polls," Roy said.
"Singh, a resident of Varanasi, knew whom to deliver the
weapons," he said, adding the accused had earlier supplied
weapons in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar.
The gun supplier boarded Mahanagari Express in Varanasi
and arrived in Mumbai yesterday.
A preliminary probe suggested that pistols bearing the
made-in-US mark were actually manufactured in Bihar, Roy said.
"Recovering the cache is perceived as a severe blow to
the nefarious designs of the underworld gangsters who planned
criminal activities in the metropolis," he said and added that
police are trying to find out the recipients of the weapons
and also figuring out the locations likely to be targeted.
The civic polls are scheduled in February next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves