Police submits preliminary report to HC in Powai rape case
Mumbai: Mumbai Crime Branch on Wednesday submitted to Bombay High Court a preliminary report of investigations in a case of alleged rape of a 28-year-old housewife by a police officer and two others in suburban Powai.
The report was submitted in a sealed cover to a bench of Justices VM Kanade and PD Kode which asked police to submit further progress in this case after four weeks.
The court had last week asked the crime branch to register an FIR against eight persons, including a police inspector, since the complaint had disclosed cognisable offences under IPC.
The victim had also alleged that her husband was also allegedly assaulted in the office of a city builder. Hence, the court gave liberty to a city builder to file a reply to the allegations mentioned in the petition.
The victim was allowed to file additional affidavit on alleged atrocities committed on her by police officers and others in this case.
The woman had claimed in the petition that despite her complaints, no action was taken.
She further alleged that on June 14, senior Inspector of Powai police station and two others had allegedly raped and assaulted her after they had protested against their removal from Jai Bhim nagar area.
The victim claimed that even other women were harassed and assaulted by the accused during the drive to remove them from the locality, allegedly at the behest of the builder.
Hearing her petition, the court had ordered police to register an FIR and submit preliminary report within seven days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir