Police to charge-sheet MLAs who assaulted cop in Maharashtra Assembly
Mumbai: Mumbai police is all set to charge sheet two Maharashtra MLAs who had assaulted a police officer inside the legislative Assembly premises on June 30, the Bombay High Court was informed on Wednesday.
Advocate General Darius Khambata told a division bench of Justices P V Hardas and Mridula Bhatkar that investigation into the case was on and a charge sheet would be filed against MNS MLA Ram Kadam and Kshitij Thakur of Bahujan Vikas Agadhi on or before June 30.
The two were among five MLAs who had allegedly assaulted assistant police inspector Sachin Suryavanshi in Vidhan Bhavan premises on March 19.
Jaykumar Rawal (BJP), Rajan Salvi (Shiv Sena) and Pradeep Jaiswal (Independent) were also allegedly involved in the fracas but were later given a clean chit by a House panel.
The division bench was hearing a petition filed by former Mumbai police commissioner and Punjab police chief Julio Ribeiro seeking action against the assailants and revocation of Suryavanshi`s suspension.
Suryavanshi was allegedly assaulted a day after daring to stop Thakur`s vehicle and imposing a fine for over-speeding on the Bandra-Worli Sea link.
"The crime branch has received CCTV footage from inside the Vidhan Bhawan only on May 31. The footage is not very clear and hence has to be sent to forensic lab. Once the footage is clear other assailants, if any, and witnesses can be identified," Khambata said.
The advocate general added that the suspension order passed against Suryavanshi is presently before a revision committee which is likely to take a final decision within two weeks.
Considering that all the prayers put forth by Ribeiro in his petition have been addressed by the police, the court asked the retired IPS officer to withdraw his petition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire