Police try to trace man who travelled with Dabholkar
Pune: The Pune crime branch sleuths are focusing on the person who accompanied anti-superstition crusader Dr Narendra Dabholkar from Dadar area on the night of August 19, a day before his murder in Pune. The sleuths said they questioned some people who called Dabholkar in his last two days, but failed to establish any further link in the case.
Dabholkar had boarded a Shivneri bus from Dadar on the night of August 19. An unidentified person had travelled with him from Dadar.
A senior crime branch officer, who does not want to divulge his identity, said, “We strongly suspect that the same person followed him from the bus stop and monitored Dabholkar’s movements. He must have also passed on his blow-by-blow information to the handlers. To trace this, we collected the call details of the area and sent special teams to track some of the suspicious callers from Mumbai area.”
The officer further said that after finding details of the callers, they have asked police officers to check out the criminal records of the callers and their whereabouts on the day of the incident. As of now, they have verified some of the callers, but have not found any link.
Meanwhile, the Pune rural police, who too are probing the case, have detained a suspicious person for three days, but later released him. A Pune rural police source said, “We had picked up the person from Satara district and interrogated him, but it did help much.”
Besides, the police top brass of Pune rural police have asked some of the police stations incharges to collect CCTV footages from their areas. “We will scrutinise the footages once we get it from the police station,” the officer added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez