Police verification for passport in Mumbai to become quicker
Mumbai: Mumbai Police, in association with Regional Passport Office, are devising a new simpler process whereby police verification report, a pre-requisite for passport, will be prepared and issued within ten days.
"We have devised an exercise that will ensure completion of police verification within ten days, instead of usual 30 to 40 days. Mumbai is the first metropolitan city which has taken up this endeavour so that applicants need not be required to go through a cumbersome process. The most important police verification will be done in a time-bound manner," Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria said today.
Mumbai Police earlier took on an average 30 to 40 days to furnish the verification report. As per the guidelines of Ministry of External Affairs, it should be done within 21 days.
As per the new initiative, documents of the applicant would be sent directly from the Passport Seva Kendra to concerned police station online. Earlier, the hard copies were sent to Special Branch II of the city police and then to the police station, said Maria.
On receipt of the forms online, the police station would verify address and scrutinise criminal antecedents (if any) of the applicant within seven days.
After that, the police station would submit the report to Special Branch II of CID in a physical format. The passport branch SB II would scrutinise the documents and submit the report online to Regional Passport Office in Mumbai.
"This entire exercise will be completed in ten days," Maria said, adding, "the passport applicant will be intimated about the status of application by a text message from police once the application reaches the police station for verification. The applicant needs to visit the station, if possible at the earliest, upon receipt of this text message." Applicants can visit the police station anytime between 9 am to 11 am and 6 pm to 8 pm except on Monday, he added.
On completion of verification, the applicant will receive another text message.
To ascertain the status of report, or to submit grievances helpline number 7715800000 has been launched. The applicants can also send detailed grievances by email to srpipassportsb2-mum@nic.In.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'