Police verification for passports to be fast-tracked: Official
Pune: The police verification process for issuance of passport, which has been found to be more time consuming in Maharashtra, will be fast-tracked and made uniform in the state, a senior passport official has said.
Noting that the average police verification period in Maharashtra stood at 70 days, which was much higher than other states, Chief Passport Officer and Joint Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), Muktesh Pardeshi, told reporters here last night that, "Steps are being taken to reduce this period in coordination with police department."
Pardeshi, who interacted with members of Passport Grievance Committee formed by citizens, said the appointment slots for applicants in Pune were being increased in view of the floating students` population of the city, an IT and Auto industry hub with a growing demand for passports.
"There has been significant increase in the volumes of passport applications processed in Maharashtra and mindful of this change, we have customised the systems and processes accordingly," he said.
"As part of MEA`s e-governance initiatives, the Passport Seva Project (PSP) has transformed the passport issuance system across India with an increased network and the ministry is improving governance in passport offices by focusing on service orientation and transparency," he said.
Opened for the public in the first half of 2012, the Passport Seva Kendras (PSK) in Maharashtra have successfully processed 6.7 lakh applications of which about five lakh passports have already been issued till March 31 this year, Pardeshi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview