Policemen injured as Facebook post leads to tension in Bhiwandi
Thane: An Assistant Commissioner of Police and 20 policemen and were injured in stone-pelting at various places in the communally sensitive Bhiwandi town near here on Thursday following an objectionable Facebook post.
Four persons were arrested.
Tension prevailed in the powerloom town of Bhiwandi, which has a history of communal clashes, and in Rabodi area of Thane city early morning today, when the objectionable post related to a particular community came to light. Locals gathered at three police stations in Bhiwandi, demanding action.
Bandh was observed in Bhiwandi and surrounding areas. At Asbeebi in Shantinagar, the police tried to disperse a mob, when they were attacked with stones, police said. Police lobbed teargas shells as well as resorted to lathi-charge.
At Nagaon, a mob pelted stones and forced closure of shops. At Vanzar Patti Naka, protesters blocked the traffic on the Bhiwandi-Ahmedabad road for hours, and police lathicharged to clear the road.
ACP Shivaji Patil and 20 policemen were injured in various stone-pelting incidents. Thane Police Commissioner K P Raghuvanshi has ordered deployment of 753 policemen, 200 reserved policemen, a company of State Reserved Police Force, and Riot Control Platoon in sensitive areas.
A flag-march was held in the morning.
DCP Bhiwandi M K Bhosale as well as Raghuvanshi appealed to the citizens not to believe rumours.
Meanwhile, police have registered case against unidentified persons under IPC section 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship) and section 67-a of Information Technology Act over the Facebook post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!