Policemen injured as Facebook post leads to tension in Bhiwandi
Thane: An Assistant Commissioner of Police and 20 policemen and were injured in stone-pelting at various places in the communally sensitive Bhiwandi town near here on Thursday following an objectionable Facebook post.
Four persons were arrested.
Tension prevailed in the powerloom town of Bhiwandi, which has a history of communal clashes, and in Rabodi area of Thane city early morning today, when the objectionable post related to a particular community came to light. Locals gathered at three police stations in Bhiwandi, demanding action.
Bandh was observed in Bhiwandi and surrounding areas. At Asbeebi in Shantinagar, the police tried to disperse a mob, when they were attacked with stones, police said. Police lobbed teargas shells as well as resorted to lathi-charge.
At Nagaon, a mob pelted stones and forced closure of shops. At Vanzar Patti Naka, protesters blocked the traffic on the Bhiwandi-Ahmedabad road for hours, and police lathicharged to clear the road.
ACP Shivaji Patil and 20 policemen were injured in various stone-pelting incidents. Thane Police Commissioner K P Raghuvanshi has ordered deployment of 753 policemen, 200 reserved policemen, a company of State Reserved Police Force, and Riot Control Platoon in sensitive areas.
A flag-march was held in the morning.
DCP Bhiwandi M K Bhosale as well as Raghuvanshi appealed to the citizens not to believe rumours.
Meanwhile, police have registered case against unidentified persons under IPC section 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship) and section 67-a of Information Technology Act over the Facebook post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon