Policemen injured as Facebook post leads to tension in Bhiwandi
Thane: An Assistant Commissioner of Police and 20 policemen and were injured in stone-pelting at various places in the communally sensitive Bhiwandi town near here on Thursday following an objectionable Facebook post.
Four persons were arrested.
Tension prevailed in the powerloom town of Bhiwandi, which has a history of communal clashes, and in Rabodi area of Thane city early morning today, when the objectionable post related to a particular community came to light. Locals gathered at three police stations in Bhiwandi, demanding action.
Bandh was observed in Bhiwandi and surrounding areas. At Asbeebi in Shantinagar, the police tried to disperse a mob, when they were attacked with stones, police said. Police lobbed teargas shells as well as resorted to lathi-charge.
At Nagaon, a mob pelted stones and forced closure of shops. At Vanzar Patti Naka, protesters blocked the traffic on the Bhiwandi-Ahmedabad road for hours, and police lathicharged to clear the road.
ACP Shivaji Patil and 20 policemen were injured in various stone-pelting incidents. Thane Police Commissioner K P Raghuvanshi has ordered deployment of 753 policemen, 200 reserved policemen, a company of State Reserved Police Force, and Riot Control Platoon in sensitive areas.
A flag-march was held in the morning.
DCP Bhiwandi M K Bhosale as well as Raghuvanshi appealed to the citizens not to believe rumours.
Meanwhile, police have registered case against unidentified persons under IPC section 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship) and section 67-a of Information Technology Act over the Facebook post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen