Polish woman confined in police station as her vis
Mumbai: For a 35-year-old Polish national and her two-year-old daughter, a police station in suburban Juhu has become a home since over two weeks as they have been confined there for deportation to her country.
The reason, police said, is that the woman Joanna Kucharska`s six-months` visa got expired way back in 2008.
"However, Joanna is not ready to return to her country now. We cannot let her roam freely in the city without a valid visa," a police officer at Juhu police station said.
Making the case more complicated for the police, Joanna claimed that her daughter was born in India, so the baby is an Indian national and cannot be deported to Poland.
The police, who are now in consultation with Poland consulate to find out the appropriate solution.
According to police, Joanna had arrived in the country in 2008 on a six-month visa, but did not return after the visa expired.
Joanna informed the police that she had arrived in New Delhi first and then reached an ashram in Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh in September 2008 in search of "spiritual peace". She then married a Polish man in India and gave birth to a girl in 2011, police said.
Quoting Joanna, police said she neither has anybody in Poland, nor has she been in touch with her husband. Finally she arrived in Mumbai a few months back and started staying at ISKCON temple in Juhu.
About two weeks ago, the temple authorities learnt that she was staying without a visa and notified the police.
The woman and her daughter have been since confined in Juhu police station and the two women constables have been deployed to guard her round the clock.
Additional Police Commissioner Vishwas Nangre Patil said, "We are in touch with Poland consulate and are hoping for a positive response."
Police are also trying to ascertain if Joanna is the biological mother of the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing