Polish woman confined in police station as her vis
Mumbai: For a 35-year-old Polish national and her two-year-old daughter, a police station in suburban Juhu has become a home since over two weeks as they have been confined there for deportation to her country.
The reason, police said, is that the woman Joanna Kucharska`s six-months` visa got expired way back in 2008.
"However, Joanna is not ready to return to her country now. We cannot let her roam freely in the city without a valid visa," a police officer at Juhu police station said.
Making the case more complicated for the police, Joanna claimed that her daughter was born in India, so the baby is an Indian national and cannot be deported to Poland.
The police, who are now in consultation with Poland consulate to find out the appropriate solution.
According to police, Joanna had arrived in the country in 2008 on a six-month visa, but did not return after the visa expired.
Joanna informed the police that she had arrived in New Delhi first and then reached an ashram in Vrindavan in Uttar Pradesh in September 2008 in search of "spiritual peace". She then married a Polish man in India and gave birth to a girl in 2011, police said.
Quoting Joanna, police said she neither has anybody in Poland, nor has she been in touch with her husband. Finally she arrived in Mumbai a few months back and started staying at ISKCON temple in Juhu.
About two weeks ago, the temple authorities learnt that she was staying without a visa and notified the police.
The woman and her daughter have been since confined in Juhu police station and the two women constables have been deployed to guard her round the clock.
Additional Police Commissioner Vishwas Nangre Patil said, "We are in touch with Poland consulate and are hoping for a positive response."
Police are also trying to ascertain if Joanna is the biological mother of the girl.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow