‘Political system under stress due to fractured ve
Mumbai: Indian political system is under
stress because of populism and fractured verdict in polls,
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan said on Wednesday.
"The political system, which in a way has been the
strength which held this country together, is under stress
because of too much populism and fractured verdict that people
are delivering," Chavan said.
Chavan, who heads the Congress-led alliance government in
the state, was speaking at the Business Standard awards
function here this evening.
"We are at crossroads. Institutions are being tested,
there is uncertainty all around. We don`t know how the global
economy shapes up, how it will affect the Indian economy.
Political situation is unstable, the price of fractured polity
is being discovered over and over again," the Chief Minister
"But the recent elections have shown us that perhaps
people are voting for clear majorities. Dangers of fractured
polity, divided verdicts, its impact on decision-making, on
growth rates is being appreciated by voters," Chavan said.
Speaking about India Inc, he said companies should
leverage opportunities presented by the stressed assets abroad
due to economic slowdown and added the government should
have a long-term view and support such acquisitions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi