`Poll booths in Naxal-hit Gadchiroli to have satellite phones`
Nagpur: Maharashtra Government will equip about 166 booths in the Naxal-affected Gadchiroli district with satellite phones for smooth polling, as they lack landline or mobile phone connectivity, State Chief Secretary JS Saharia said here on Friday.
Saharia, who reviewed the poll preparedness for the April 10 Lok Sabha elections in Vidarbha region, told this at a press conference here.
Besides, polling in the naxal-infested areas of Aheri, Aamgaon, Wadsa, Desaiganj areas in Gadchiroli district will be between 7 am and 4 pm for security reasons, he said.
Additional troops of para-military forces are being deployed in the district to avoid any untoward incident.
"The state government and Election Commission are also making efforts to increase the polling percentage this time which was quite low, like 49 per cent in Nagpur and 53 per cent in Ramtek, last time. We want to raise it to 75 per cent," Saharia said.
The review meeting was attended by all District Collectors, who are Returning Officers, and top police officers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?