Poll panel proceedings against Ashok Chavan stayed
New Delhi: In a breather for former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan, the Supreme Court Thursday stayed proceedings before the Election Commission into allegations that he understated expenses on newspaper advertisements during the 2009 Assembly Elections.
An apex court bench headed by Justice Altamas Kabir stayed the proceedings after senior counsel Gopal Subramaniam mentioned Chavan`s petition challenging the proceedings before the Election Commission.
The proceedings were to commence Friday.
Subramaniam said the Election Commission had no jurisdiction to undertake such proceedings as that can be done only by the Election Tribunal.
The matter was listed for further hearing Dec 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living