Poll panel proceedings against Ashok Chavan stayed
New Delhi: In a breather for former Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan, the Supreme Court Thursday stayed proceedings before the Election Commission into allegations that he understated expenses on newspaper advertisements during the 2009 Assembly Elections.
An apex court bench headed by Justice Altamas Kabir stayed the proceedings after senior counsel Gopal Subramaniam mentioned Chavan`s petition challenging the proceedings before the Election Commission.
The proceedings were to commence Friday.
Subramaniam said the Election Commission had no jurisdiction to undertake such proceedings as that can be done only by the Election Tribunal.
The matter was listed for further hearing Dec 2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days