Possessing liquor in Wardha district is a serious
Nagpur: The Nagpur Bench of Bombay High Court Tuesday rejected the anticipatory bail application of a man in Wardha, who had allegedly kept stock of foreign liquor worth Rs 7,500 at his house.
Sudhir Daf, a resident of Kelkarwadi area in Wardha district, was found in possession of foreign liquor at his house and booked under the Bombay Prohibition Act.
"Wardha is a dry district. Even though value of the property seized is not very high, the offence seems to be very serious in view of prohibition declared in the district," Justice M L Tahaliyani observed while rejecting the application.
Daf said the premises, from where the stock was found, was part of his ancestral house, while he lives in a separate residence.
The HC noted that the applicant had run away after locking the premises. The lock was broken open in presence of the `panchas` and mother of the applicant.
Since Wardha is a dry district, the matter assumes seriousness, it said.
There is a blanket ban on the sale, purchase, production and consumption of liquor in Wardha as it is closely linked with Mahatma Gandhi.
Wardha, in Eastern Maharashtra, houses Sevagram Ashram, which was founded by Mahatma Gandhi. Small homes were built in the ashram for Gandhiji, his wife and Kasturba and his followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- In or out? Did Sidhu really quit BJP and join AAP!
- Rajnath Singh sends out stern message to Pakistan, says 'we don't need third party in Kashmir'
- Declare India a 'Hindu state', says Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!