Possessing liquor in Wardha district is a serious
Nagpur: The Nagpur Bench of Bombay High Court Tuesday rejected the anticipatory bail application of a man in Wardha, who had allegedly kept stock of foreign liquor worth Rs 7,500 at his house.
Sudhir Daf, a resident of Kelkarwadi area in Wardha district, was found in possession of foreign liquor at his house and booked under the Bombay Prohibition Act.
"Wardha is a dry district. Even though value of the property seized is not very high, the offence seems to be very serious in view of prohibition declared in the district," Justice M L Tahaliyani observed while rejecting the application.
Daf said the premises, from where the stock was found, was part of his ancestral house, while he lives in a separate residence.
The HC noted that the applicant had run away after locking the premises. The lock was broken open in presence of the `panchas` and mother of the applicant.
Since Wardha is a dry district, the matter assumes seriousness, it said.
There is a blanket ban on the sale, purchase, production and consumption of liquor in Wardha as it is closely linked with Mahatma Gandhi.
Wardha, in Eastern Maharashtra, houses Sevagram Ashram, which was founded by Mahatma Gandhi. Small homes were built in the ashram for Gandhiji, his wife and Kasturba and his followers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical