Power not politics divided the Bhuttos: Fatima
Mumbai: It was power, which is more
destructive than politics, that divided Pakistan`s powerful
Bhutto family, feels the writer-poet scion Fatima Bhutto.
"Power is more destructive than politics. Everybody in
the family had different ideologies from the start but when
the family became powerful, things began to fracture," the
29-year-old niece of slain Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir
Bhutto said at the Times Literary Carnival.
Fatima, who finds penning memoir a strange process
since it entails researching one`s own family, says she took
up writing because of a promise she had made to Murtaza, her
father, who like her grandfather Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and aunt
Benazir, died a violent death.
Fatima Bhutto was 14 years old when her father, Mir
Murtaza, was shot dead by police after a gun battle outside
his Karachi home in 1996.
"I took up writing because it was the last thing I
promised my father Murtaza hours before he was killed," she
said speaking on "Selective Nostalgia: Memoir Writing and
Charitable Deception of Memory".
"I asked him (Murtaza) why doesn`t he write about
himself. He told me to do it after he was gone and few hours
later he was killed," she said and described her father as a
About her latest book "Songs of Desert and Sword",
which is an account of Murtaza`s life seen through her eyes,
she said it was strange to research about her own family while
writing the book that dwells on the brutal and corrupt world
of Pakistani power politics which claimed the lives of four
members of the Bhutto dynasty in the past 31 years.
She said her target audience was the young Pakistani
who viewed her writing with "sympathy, solidarity and
While conceding that it was not possible to be neutral
about people you love, Fatima said she had critically analysed
Zulfikar Ali Bhutto`s handling of Balochistan.
"He could have made a difference by ending the
repression of Balochi people but it continued," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre