Pregnant woman dies in hosp, kin cry negligence
Mumbai: A 23-year-old pregnant woman died at Nowrosjee Wadia Maternity Hospital on Monday, allegedly due to medical negligence.
She was eight months pregnant and had been referred to the hospital by her doctor after complications were noticed in her pregnancy. The family is in the process of filing a case.
Najeeb, Afreen Shaikh’s cousin, said, “We knew the baby’s survival chances were less as the doctors in Ahmednagar had told us about the complications but she was fine.”
Afreen’s maternal uncle Riyaz Sayyed said the ultrasound and other tests done at Wadia hospital had pointed out the same complications. “The doctors said they would wait till she normally delivers the baby,” said Sayyed.
Afreen’s family said they had given doctors their consent to save the mother.
Sayyed said, “It took them six days to decide on what to do even though they were aware of her complications. They didn’t allow us to meet her after her condition worsened. We believe the hospital staff was negligent and that’s what led to her death.”
According to the family, Afreen developed sudden pain in her abdomen on Saturday night after which she was rushed to the operation theatre. “Since Saturday, we were kept in the dark on the line of treatment being given to her.
On Sunday, her condition worsened. They did a caesarean on Sunday. The baby was stillborn. Even then the doctors told us that Afreen was fine and there was nothing to worry. Within minutes of their assurances, we came to know that she had died,” said Najeeb.
Sources from the forensic medicine department said that she died of cardio-respiratory failure and had pregnancy-induced hypertension.
A source said, “We have sent viscera samples to the Kalina lab for histopathology. Once the report comes, we will give more details on her cause of death.”
However, Dr Mini Bodhanwala, CEO of Wadia hospital, she refuted allegations of medical negligence and said the family was creating unnecessary hype over the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’