Preity Zinta files molestation case; Ness Wadia denies charges
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Mumbai: Actor Preity Zinta has filed a complaint against businessman and former boyfriend Ness Wadia in city`s Marine Drive police station alleging that he molested, harassed and threatened her.
As per reports, the case was filed on Thursday night.
The incident supposedly took place on May 30 during an Indian Premier League (IPL) match at the Wankhede stadium in South Mumbai. The match was between Chennai Super Kings and Kings X1 Punjab.
Sources said that as per the FIR the incident happened at 8:30 pm and mentions that Ness allegedly grabbed Zinta`s hand and pulled her towards him. He is also said to have abused her.
The police is likely to record Zinta`s statement soon. Also, Ness may too be questioned. As there were others who were present at the time of the incident, witnessess are also likely to be identified.
Both Ness, 44 and Preity, 39 are co-owners of the Punjab IPL team. The actor and the Bombay Dyeing heir were in a relationship for many years but it subsequently ended. However, they continued with their professional relationship at the Kings XI Punjab, who finished runners-up at 2014 edition of the IPL.
Zinta gave a written complaint following which an FIR was registered against Wadia under IPC sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace), 506 (punishment for criminal intimidation) and 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman).
It has been given to understand that the police has sought CCTV footage and visuals from cameras that were in the stadium.
There has been no reaction from Preity who is said to be in Mumbai at present. But as per a TV channel, Ness has denied the allegations, calling it false and is reportedly shocked at the complaint filed by his ex-girlfriend. He is also said to be in consultation with his legal team.
Born on 31 January 1975, Preity made her acting debut in Hindi film `Dil Se` in 1998 opposite Bollywood super star Shah Rukh Khan. This was followed by `Kya Kehna` in 2000, apart from other films, for which she won accolades for her role as a teenage single mother.
She received the Filmfare Award for best actress in 2003 for her performance in `Kal Ho Naa Ho` and played lead female roles in a number of hit Hindi films and opposite top actors. But for some years now she has been on a downslide and roles have dried up for her with younger actresses replacing her.
Zinta is known to speak her mind and was in the news for being the only witness not to retract in court her earlier statements against the mafia during the 2003 Bharat Shah case. She was awarded the Godfrey Phillips National Bravery Award for this.
As for Ness, he belongs to the Wadia family and is currently the Managing Director of the Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation. This is a company which has holdings in most of the Wadia Group subsidiaries, including an indirect majority stake in Britannia Industries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family