Present report on security post 26/11: HC to Maha
Mumbai: Observing that it is the state
government and police`s duty to protect and thwart untoward
incidents like terror acts, the Bombay High Court on Thursday sought
a compliance report from Maharashtra government on what
measures it has taken post 26/11 terror attacks.
"The Ram Pradhan committee formed after the November 26
attack had recommended certain measures to be taken. What does
the state government propose to do about them?," a division
bench of Justices D D Sinha and R G Ketkar questioned.
The bench, which was hearing a bunch of public interest
litigations filed post the 26/11 terror attack, directed the
government to file its reply in four weeks.
"After 26/11, the government has spent Rs 126 crore for
bomb detection and disposal squad, bullet proof jackets,
vehicles, speed boats and weapons. Is that adequate today? Are
they being put to use? Despite all this then why are terrorist
activities still going on," Justice Sinha asked.
Anil Sakhre, counsel for one of the petitioner, told the
court that Maharashtra Home Minister R R Patil had made a
statement that prior intelligence was received before the
triple blast on July 13 at Opera House, Zaveri Bazaar and
Dadar. He further said that many of the equipments purchased
by the government are not even being used.
"You (government) should show that because of all these
equipments tomorrow an untoward incident can be thwarted.
Otherwise all this will be waste. All important buildings
including High court and lower courts should be secured," the
Public prosecutor Pandurang Pol informed the court those
special task forces like Quick Response Team (QRT) and Force
One have been created post 26/11 and a unit of the National
Security Guard (NSG) has also been formed here.
The bench, however, observed that simple creation of task
forces is not enough and said, "What are these forces doing?
Where are they deployed after training?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam