President must not attend Belgaum Vidhan Bhavan opening: Sena
Mumbai: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Sunday urged President Pranab Mukherjee not to attend the inauguration of the Vidhan Bhavan building in Belgaum on October 11.
Uddhav said that the president should respect the sentiments of Marathi speaking people of "Karnataka occupied Maharashtra" of Belgaum, Karwar and other Marathi-dominated areas.
"This is a disputed area and the matter is sub judice. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan should check if inauguration of the building amounts to contempt of court. We reiterate our demand that the disputed areas be declared a union territory till the dispute is settled by the Supreme Court," he said.
Chavan should also take up the matter with the president and prevail upon him not to inaugurate the building, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind