President must not attend Belgaum Vidhan Bhavan opening: Sena
Mumbai: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Sunday urged President Pranab Mukherjee not to attend the inauguration of the Vidhan Bhavan building in Belgaum on October 11.
Uddhav said that the president should respect the sentiments of Marathi speaking people of "Karnataka occupied Maharashtra" of Belgaum, Karwar and other Marathi-dominated areas.
"This is a disputed area and the matter is sub judice. Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan should check if inauguration of the building amounts to contempt of court. We reiterate our demand that the disputed areas be declared a union territory till the dispute is settled by the Supreme Court," he said.
Chavan should also take up the matter with the president and prevail upon him not to inaugurate the building, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon