President should skip Belgaum Vidhan Bhawan functi
Mumbai: A day after Shiv Sena executive minister president Uddhav Thackeray appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee not to attend the inauguration of the Vidhan Bhavan building in Belgaum on October 11, Maharashtra minister Chhagan Bhujbal on Monday made a similar request to Mukherjee.
"The (Belgaum) border issue between Maharashtra and Karnataka is a very sensitive matter. Therefore, you should not attend the Vidhan Bhawan function," Bhujbal said in a letter to Mukherjee.
"If the President accepts the invitation to inaugurate the Vidhan Bhawan, it will boost the theory that the Centre is sidelining the right of Maharashtra," Bhujbal said in the letter.
Uddhav has written to Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan, saying "the state government should appeal to the President not to attend the inaugural function."
Uddhav said Chavan should meet Mukherjee to convey the sentiments of the state government on the issue.
The Sena leader said the President should respect the sentiments of Marathi-speaking people in "Karnataka-occupied Maharashtra" of Belgaum, Karwar and other Marathi-dominated areas.
"This is a disputed area and the matter is sub judice. Chief minister Prithviraj Chavan should check if inauguration of the building amounts to contempt of court.
We reiterate our demand that the disputed areas be declared a union territory till the dispute is settled by the Supreme Court," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in